Slap Chop

I was somewhat productive today. I cut up enough vegetables today for today's meals and tomorrow's meals. I hadn't planned to, it just happened.

I had cut up a huge bok choy leaf, was starting in on the broccoli, and was bemoaning the fact that we don't have a food processor. Then I realised, wait! We have a Slap Chop! (For those who don't know what a Slap Chop is, you can see it here http://www.jennyreviews.com/as-seen-on-tv/slap-chop/. The Slap Chop has received a bit of a bad rep, but we have never had any problems with it.) So I dug around in our cabinet filled with miscellaneous things and found it. I had never used it before, but my mom told me it worked well.

I grabbed a piece of the broccoli stem and put it under the Slap Chopped and started chopping away. It worked great! Before long, I had a large amount of bok choy, broccoli, and bell peppers that couldn't possibly get eaten in one day. I decided to also add some lettuce so the guinea pigs could enjoy it too. The Slap Chop does not work on greens, but the blender does! I added some water and turned the blender on for no more than 3 seconds and I had finely chopped lettuce.

I put all the vegetables in a bowl and mixed. It was a lot of food for my tiny flock of two birds. The guinea pigs got some (in addition to more lettuce) and the bearded dragon got some too. I still have enough for tomorrow as well.






I know a lot of people make this for their birds on a regular basis, and I think I'm going to start. But in order to justify it (and to use it before it goes bad without freezing it), I have to make it suitable for the guinea pigs and the bearded dragon as well. This was way quicker and much more efficient than my usual method (cutting everything up with a knife and never get it small enough). Next time I make this, I'll have to get a wider variety of veggies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment